Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ok, yikes almost a month since I last posted BuuTT, I have been jotting down posts when I have those random unbusy-but-stuck-somewhere moments and after I write out my blog post on paper, I stash it in my purse and assume I will have time to put it up ... soon. And, then not. So, I'm going to post what I worked on today and go backwards a little 'cause why the heck not?

For a while I've wanted to make a picture list of the children's books my kids and I are major fans of and here it is:
 

1. My No, No, No Day! by Rebecca Patterson is a perfect kids' book about waking up in a funk, on the wrong side of the bed, and the first thing you see is somebody messing up your stuff. The little girl is so real she may as well have the same name as my daughter who of course loves this book and both her and her brother roll off the bed or couch laughing good strong belly laughs because they can relate to being upset about the little things that daily life is about. The illustrations are spot on with the story so it's getting added to our collection for keeps. The title and cover art grabbed my attention in the sea of books offered at our local library.

2. MINE! by Shutta Crum, with illustrations by Patrice Barton, is able to tell an entire little saga with one word -MINE!- so of course little people easily claim the character as themselves and go along for the super fun, soggy ride and end up realizing that the best we have are the people and pets who love us and our lives become joyful through sharing what we have. The book is an absolute work of art page by page and we treasure it! My mine!-yelling daughter's behavior improved after the 1st reading--thank goodness!

3. 5 Little Monkeys With Nothing To Do by Eileen Christelow is a beloved kids book in which the monk-kids' complaint of boredom gets them doing all the necessary chores in anticipation of Grandma's visit, but no hard work goes without quickly being undone as we all learn the hard way, and the fun way. My kids and I love laughing to this book every time we pick it up. Ms. Christelow's art is awesomely anthropomorphic so her books are crowds-of-all-ages pleasers. Thanks for sending us this one Gram!

4. If You Give A Pig A Pancake by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond continues to be our favorite of the If You Give... series by this dynamic duo. Darling pictures and a day full of at-home adventures bookended with pancakes and maple syrup--what's not to love?! We go back to it constantly like the pancake and maple syrup addicts we are :)   Why do I always get a craving to read this book on Saturday mornings? Gram knew she had to share this one with us.

5. Fox Makes Friends by Adam Relf is a gorgeously color saturated tale of a little fox who has to learn how to make friends with a cute lesson on taking mom's words too literally but figuring it out in a fun way as you go along. Relf's acrylic and pen drawings and the book's super-sized size give the effect of watching the book on a screen so my kids love it and have mussed the pages somewhat, but, all in love. Fox Makes Friends was the first book purchased by my son's dad and I specifically for him and it was the one he insisted in including in the nightly storytime for those beginning years. I was happily surprised by his sister loving it as much as he does.

6. Aunt Isabel Tells A Good One by Kate Duke is a delicately and exquisitely delightful story about how to tell a good story and it most certainly is! This is a must read for anybody who likes books and the stories in them. I was fascinated by the brilliance of the author in her telling and drawing of this clever mouse tale and I was impressed with her excellence in teaching by example of how to tell a good one. An absolute treasure that I would not part with even if kidnapped and threatened by an odious mole and a bad egg bat. Many heartfelt thanks to Gram who sent us this special book from her cache.

7. Please, Puppy, Please by Spike Lee & Tonya Lewis Lee, illustrated by Kadir Nelson is an adorable 3 ft-high view of the world in an afternoon of puppy antics with two cutie-pie kids that my kids instantly related to. I've not previously been a fan of Spike Lee and what many have referred to as his "antics" but this book I just happened to find on a library shelf put him in a completely different light for me and I'll be glad to see him in the limelight from producing more of the same. Each page is a painting and truly brings to life summer, childhood and begging puppies to behave and enjoying the laughs when they don't. I "had" to read this book every day until its due date :)   I think I know a little girl who neeeeds this for her birthday.

8. Cat Secrets by Jef Czekjaf is a really hip story featuring some cats with a book of cat secrets that only cats are allowed to read. With graphic pics that crack you up on every page and physical activities you're asked to do, this is a more than worthwhile interactive experience. I didn't mind at all every time the kids came at me with this book in their hands. I also still really need to know what the secrets were...meaow? A sweet library treat hiding completely incognito on the shelf.

9. There's a Wocket in my Pocket! by Dr. Seuss is probably our favorite from the Dr.'s massive anthology and there is soooo much to love in his collection of works. The quirky story and the rhyming of everyday-used objects in the home with nonsensical words constructed by simply changing the prefixes makes for excellent sight word teaching. And, of course, there's plenty for preschoolers to love, especially the whimsical creatures Dr. Seuss creates for each made-up word. I add silly scenarios and sayings for each of the pictures every time we read it and my kids just can't get enough of this book. Gifted by Gram so we give her our thanks.

10. Sleep Tight, Little Bear by Giovanni Caviezel, Roberta Pagioni (illustrator) is an ideal bedtime storybook for little ones. It was a gift from Grandpa and it was an instant favorite because of the gentle prose and charming pictures that had me wishing I was a mama bear who lived in a tree because it's so gracefully furnished. The baby bear is understandably worried about monsters in his room at night and his mom responds with pure love and wisdom. A pleasure to read as little eyes blink ever so ..much ..more.. ..s.l.o.w..l.y..

11. Clip-Clop! by Nicola Smee has an affable and solicitous horse give rides to some barnyard friends and just as things get out of control, the typeface gets really large and yet disaster is avoided just in time for the characters and my kids to shout Again!!! Cute and simple art infused with the magic of story telling plus the aspect of playing to the very end of safety's edge make Clip-Clop a book you have to say, "Again!" to again and again, and happily. A library find that earns its happy face.

12. Down in the Woods at Sleepytime by Carole Lexa Schaefer, illustrated by Vanessa Cabban visits four forest families as they try to get settled down for bed. I found this book to be an effective and invaluable resource for getting my wild childs to settle and allow sleepiness to find them. I loved the micro and macro transitions splendidly provided by Cabban's picture scenes. Schaefer's text had me making all kinds of fun forest animal noises that my kids gladly giggled at and requested often. Gram sent us this book from her collection - thanks!


These admirable and adjective-worthy books are our favorites and it's a pleasure to share them. What are your favorites?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love book recs! Especially intrigued by 1, 2, and 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! A comment :) You're the best :) Can you tell this makes me :) ?

    1, 2 and 7 are so great, Ben would love them. Since we've returned them to the library that's close by you're sure to find them there. We should do a library field trip with the kids. It's a worthwhile visit.

    Chat you up later,
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, let's do a library field trip! i'm so terrible but i've never brought ben to one before to actually borrow books. i think it's b/c i'm a hoarder of books, so i hate the idea of having to return....

      Delete
  3. There is a wonderful library at your house, which I am well-known to utilize so I understand ;) but since no one person can have them all, a library trip is a great way to see what's out there, try it, and decide if you like it enough to add it. My kids hilariously say they're buying the library book or video even though I've gently corrected that we are borrowing the item, countless times. Might be wishful thinking?

    Waiting to trip,
    Paola

    ReplyDelete