Friday, March 22, 2013

Welcome Spring

Ah, it's finally springtime and I am releasing my long-held breath that awaited the official end of the cold and wind. Yet, the wind is roaring outside right now and it's tough to be out without being properly covered up. I know, though, that it is only cold because it is nighttime and that the wind's loudness will soon abate. In the high desert, the wind is our constant companion and the days she doesn't wail, we try to not even say her name for fear of inciting her rampage. During the winter, the combination of cold and wind is a fearsome thing and I often find myself afraid to go out. So, I'm happy in a decently secure knowledge that when morning comes, I know we won't have to wear gloves and hats and jackets, and still be cold, and that we can run around with the sun on our faces. I'm seeing that every green thing is happy, too.


For just over a week, the buds on the plum, apricot and cherry trees all over town have been bursting open with their bright pink flowers. Some, so pink they look like fluorescent magenta. Then, there's the white dainty flowers that cluster on their dark branches looking like a softer version of frosted-over snow clumps.
Two weeks ago when the blooms were hidden and just budding.
The first few buds burst.





I've long been a plant admirer and, very depressingly, a plant killer. Yes, I never had a plant before this just past year that, hardy as it may have been touted, did not succumb to my brown thumb. I think that phase has finally passed because I have four plants that have survived about 4 months with me now and it's interesting how dear they are to me. It's almost as if we're clinging on together and willing to go on, no matter what. I haven't been a superb plant caretaker, but, there they are green-leafed and going strong.

A survivor.



By our front door are three iris bulbs with several buds that have opened up to show their bright velvety violetness swiped with a golden yellow streak. I just love them and hope they have a nice, long life before the scorching sun does them in.
It was a big surprise when we saw these iris buds peeping out.



 
   


They bloomed!

Today we spent the day with friends, basking in the glory of spring break and a sunny afternoon. We made smoothies with frozen strawberries, extra-ripe bananas, a splash of milk, and honey Greek yogurt (and papaya for me and the only one other friend who enjoys it). Sipping on smoothies and laughing together just like old times made me excited for summer when the kids will really be out of school and we can enjoy the freedom of t-shirt and shorts days, swimming and recreational reading.

Are you happy spring is here? What do you look forward to?


No comments:

Post a Comment